Friday, September 5, 2008

The princess without her castle

My prince- my one and only true royal attribute-lies asleep in our bed, in a studio apartment, on Anzac Avenue in Auckland NZ. After one too many vodka and lemonades, he rests his hard-working, dragon-slaying head. I, on the other hand, insist that I need to finish my bottle of $10.00 wine and as it is a Saturday soon, I can sleep it off in my royal robes.
I got a phonecall from my mother, the Queen, who lives in Turkey with her lovable Irish husband about an hour ago. She has set my head reeling once again, as parents so gallantly do...about the future and what it holds for me. She said, "you do realise that England is in an economic slump and living in Brighton will be highly expensive for a princess?" and i said, "yes ma'am". She said "you do realise that it was a good move going to NZ and getting out of England?" and i said "yes ma'am". And i know what she was trying to say. My interpretation was that I should avoid England at all costs and yet it is where my ladies-in-waiting hold court and it is where my prince has his Kingdom.
What i wanted to say or shout...(however a princess would go about this matter) was "Where shall I go?!!"
What is a princess to do when she has no castle or Kingdom of her own? Does she willingly follow her prince to rule the Kingdom that she has unwillingly inherited?
Or is she meant to feel this utter sense of "lost" to eventually find her own way and her own Kingdom to rule?
I'm not sure if it is the $10.00 bottle of wine that makes me want to reach out to my prince brother and gain his acceptance or if I just crave some royal family love. Perhaps as he is the older sibling and next in line to the thrown, I feel it is his duty to protect and guide me.
I love my family and it has been a long time since I have craved the togetherness that I had lost a long time ago. Quality time has been reduced to pricey air-fares and foreign phonecalls with time-delayed questions about the future that set my princess head on a jutty carousel.
I guess the point is, I miss my family. I can finally admit it. I miss having a castle to call home.

I'm a 24yr old girl "living the dream" in an exotic country, with a man who loves me to share it, with true friends across the globe and a generous family in each corner of each hemisphere. I am lucky. I am a princess...just lacking the castle.

No comments: